My background is in computer science, but has always been flavoured with arts. I received my B.Sc. in computer science from Memorial University of Newfoundland – with an English minor – and then my M.S. from SUNY Stony Brook on Long Island – with a focus on multimedia and computer art. The emergence of the web just as I graduated gave me the chance to combine all my interests into one career.
Since then, I’ve worked in nearly every aspect of web development, from concept to design to production and promotion. My experience so far has included:
- building highly interactive sites for demanding cable TV networks at the height of the dot-com boom in New York City
- creating new online courses and making accessibility refinements to existing courses at the University of British Columbia
- designing, developing, and maintaining sites for small businesses and individuals
- coordinating with teams to build large-scale, extensive web presences
- promoting musicians and bands in every form of social media that you can think of
And the web alone isn’t big enough to hold me. I also have been known to edit books, transcribe and caption video for film and TV, narrate voiceovers, write music, tour with a rock band, and teach bass guitar. Some of my less entrepreneurial pursuits include meditation and appreciating nature.
*Don’t worry, I use a high SPF sunscreen. I’m quite pale.